How to check or replace transmission (gearbox) oil Citroen Xsara Picasso:
1.6 litre petrol engine (1587cc), 1.8 litre petrol engine (1749cc)
1. Ensure the engine has been switched off for at least 5 minutes to ensure an accurate oil reading.
2. Ensure the vehicle is raised and supported with the handbrake on.
3. Remove the left hand road wheel, remove the plastic clips that secure the left hand wheel arch plastic liner into place and remove the liner.
4. Clean the area around the filler/level plug, then unscrew it and clean it. Throw away the sealing washer.
5. When the plug is removed a certain amount of oil will trickle out. The correct level of oil is indicated by the oil level reaching the lower edge of the filler/level hole. Add oil until a trickle of new oil can be seen, the desired level is reached when the flow of oil stops. It is imperative the car is completely level during this procedure in order for a correct level to be taken.
6. When the correct level is achieved place a new sealing washer to the filler/level plug.
7. Refit the plug and tighten it to the required torque. Refit the wheel arch liner and the road wheel ensuring all bolts are tightened to the specific torque.